What’s up guys, I hope everyone is fine! today we are gonna be talking about Low sugar breakfast recipes. If you are wondering how to lower your sugar intake then clean eating breakfast is a good place to start.
Most people in the United Kingdom and other developed countries, including France and the United States, consume almost three times the recommended daily amount of sugar.
With the typical breakfast options are high sugar foods such as breakfast cereal, orange juice, toast & jam, muffins, pancakes with maple syrup and sweetened coffees breakfast tends to be our highest sugar meal.
You will probably be shocked to know how much sugar there is in your complete breakfast.
Did you know that a glass of orange juice contains around 20 grams of sugar or that a bowl of breakfast cereal contains around 36 grams of sugar or a blueberry muffin that contains around 38 grams of sugar which is equivalent to 9.5 teaspoons of sugar that is huge.
A typical unhealthy breakfast provides the maximum amount of sugar you can eat in a day, as recommended by your dietary guidelines. Or, if your goal is really healthy, you need to bring your daily sugar intake as close to zero as possible.
Sugar is associated with obesity, heart disease, cancer, diabetes and so many other heath conditions. Sugar makes you age faster, creates inflammation, damages your teeth, cause brain fog and constant energy fluctuations.
Reducing your sugar intake is one of the most important steps you have to take in order to improve your health.
So, how do you reduce your sugar intake, simple you start with sugar free breakfast if you are a fan of breakfast cereal it is a healthier option for you.
Now, I’m going to share with you some low sugar breakfast cereals that you can see below.
Best low sugar breakfast food list
- Turkey and veggie egg muffins.
- Chia Seed Pudding.
- Blueberry Muffins.
- PB & J Bites.
- Sweet Potato Toast.
- Pancake and Waffle Chocolate Sauce.
- Low Sugar Granola .
- Keto Coffee and Dark Chocolate.
- Blueberry Smoothie.
1. Turkey and veggie egg muffins
- 10 eggs for 12 muffins.
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, red chili flakes.
- shredded cheese.
- Chopped veggies about 1c total.
- 4 pieces of turkey bacon.
- Olive oil.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease the muffin tin or use a cupcake liner.
- Fry chopped vegetables softly until season.
- Fry the turkey bacon.
- In a large mixing bowl, melt the eggs with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and red pepper flakes.
- Add the vegetable / meat mixture to the eggs and stir.
- Using a measuring cup, place the egg mixture in a muffin tin and fill it 1/4 inch below the top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the eggs have hardened and the top just begins to turn light brown.
2. Chia Seed Pudding
- 2 T chia seeds.
- 1/2 almond milk.
- Fresh fruit. ( you can use strawberry, blueberry, mango and banana )
- 1 T honey.
- 1/2 T vanilla extract.
- In a mason jar add almond milk, chia seeds, vanilla extract and honey and give it a good stir.
- Cover and set in the refrigerator overnight.
- In the morning mix the chia seed pudding well to breaking up any clumps.
- Top with your favourite fruit.
3. Blueberry Muffins
- 3 medium eggs.
- 3 very ripe bananas.
- 3/4 cup almond flour.
- 1/2 cup of fresh blueberry.
- vanilla extract.
- 1 Tsp baking soda with 1 Tsp white vinegar to help the muffins rise.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mush very ripe bananas with fork. They will be very easy to mush.
- Add the egg and almond flour and mix until the flour is smooth. It’s okay if there are a few banana chunks in the dough.
- Grease the muffin tin or add a cupcake liner.
- Put the batter into the muffin tin about 3/4 full and add blueberries. ( About 3-5 blueberry per muffin. The more fresh blueberries you add, the juicy the muffins will be )
- Bake on the middle rack for 25-30 minutes. Let cool and start enjoying immediately.
- They can be stored at room temp for 3 days. It can also be refrigerated for 7 days.
4. PB & J Bites
- 1 cup peanut butter.
- 1/2 cup coconut flour.
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut.
- 1/4 cup great lakes collagen.
- 1/4 cup flax meal.
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted.
- 1 bug trader joe’s freeze dried strawberries, crushed.
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds.
Mix all ingredients and freeze until firm. Roll into balls and place on tray or plate ( preferably linked with parchment paper ) and store covered in freeze.
5. Sweet Potato Toast
Sweet potato toast is one of the best and well known low sugar Indian breakfast. If you are on a low sugar diet then you can add this sweet potato toast recipes in your clean breakfast.
- 1 sweet potato.
- 1/2 avocado.
- 1 tablespoon great lakes gelatine.
- Onion powder.
- Juice of 1/2 lime.
Slice sweet potato into thin, even slices. Place slices on parchment lined baking sheet. Bake at 400F for 15-20 minutes.
Allow to cool before mixing with all other ingredients (avocado, collagen, onion powder, salt, lime juice). Top sweet potato with collagen guacamole and top with optional boiled egg, coriander and cucumber.
6. Pancake and Waffle Chocolate Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Hershey’s special dark cocoa powder.
- 1 tablespoon great lakes collagen.
- 3 tablespoons water.
Mix all ingredients until smooth. Drizzle on top of your favourite gluten free pancakes or waffles! Drizzle peanut butter for a peanut butter cup flavour combo.
7. Low Sugar Granola
- A handful of walnuts or pecans
- 1 tablespoon of sunflower seeds.
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds.
- One tablespoon of flax seeds.
- 1 tablespoon of pumpkin seeds,
- 1 tablespoon of low sugar granola.
- 1/2 cup of wild blueberries.
- 10 drops of organic liquid stevia.
- Alternatively, use 1 teaspoon of organic honey. however, it will added additional 6gm of sugar.
- 3 tablespoons of organic kefir/greek yoghurt.
- Mix everything together and eat it straight.
8. Keto Coffee and Dark Chocolate
- 1 cup of black coffee.
- One teaspoon of grass fed butter or ghee.
- One tsp of organic extra virgin coconut oil.
- 10 drops of organic liquid stevia for those who like sweet coffee.
- Add few drops of vanilla extract. (make sure it has no sugar)
- 1 scoop of multi collagen protein powder.
Never add sugar/honey/syrup to your keto coffee as sugar and fat mixed together are not good for you, fats are healthy only when your sugar intake is low.
Blend it all together for 2 to 5 seconds and combine with organic 85% cocoa chocolate.
9. Blueberry Smoothie
- 1 cup frozen wild blueberries/raspberries/strawberries.
- 1 cup of water.
- 1/2 almond milk/coconut milk.
- 2-3 tablespoons chia seeds.
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds.
- 1 tablespoon coconut butter/coconut oil or MCT oil.
- 1-2 handfuls of spinach.
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- 1 scoop of multi collagen protein powder.
- 10 drops of stevia.
- You can add also 1/2 banana if you want it sweeter but it will add around extra 7 gm of sugar.
Blend everything for about 1 minute and drink straight.
Q & A
Q. Can you lose weight by cutting out sugar?
Ans. Yes, you can because eating extra unhealthy foods and sugary foods is related to weight gain. So if you reduce the amount of sugar in your diet or cut out all sugary foods, then you will definitely be able to lose your weight.
Q. Is honey better than sugar?
Ans. Honey and sugar both have carbohydrates in the form of glucose and fructose. But sugar has 50 % glucose and 50 % fructose which combine together in the form of sucrose and while honey has 40 % fructose and 30 % glucose, which is why honey is sweeter than sugar.
Honey is slightly higher in calories than sugar. 1 teaspoons honey provides around 22 calories while 1 teaspoon sugar provides around 16 calories.
Now you are thinking is honey better than sugar? honey and sugar have different test and texture.
Some how honey has a better reputation than sugar but the effect of over consumption honey or sugar are the same. Which are blood sugar picks, weight gain and risk of tooth Tk.
Honey is known for its ability to help with cough or allergy symptoms but it must be consume in moderation so should sugar.
Q. What are the best low sugar foods?
Ans. Here are many low sugar foods or sugar free foods in this world, but if I were to name them all, it would not end there but some of them are bean, nuts, sweet potatoes, whole oats, lean meet, flax seeds, avocado, tomatoes, papaya and many more.
Q. What can I eat for breakfast on a sugar free diet?
Ans. If I were to say, here are many Low sugar breakfast available but the best are Turkey and veggie egg muffins, Chia Seed Pudding, Blueberry Muffins, PB & J Bites, Sweet Potato Toast, Low Sugar Granola, Blueberry Smoothie and many more.
Q. What food has no sugar?
Ans. Here are thousands of sugar free foods but some of them are bean, nuts, sweet potatoes, whole oats, lean meet, flax seeds, avocado, tomatoes, papaya and etc.
Q. What foods should be avoided on a low sugar diet?
Ans. If you are on a low sugar diet then you should never eat these foods, which I am going to say now because they contain a lot of sugar these are pineapple, mango, watermelon, banana, grapes, raisins, lychees, dates and many more.
Q. What fruit is highest in sugar?
Ans. Raisins, pineapple, blueberry, apple, banana, cherry, mango, grapes, figs, pomegranates and etc. These are the foods that contains high sugar and this types of fruits is very bad for your health if you are on a sugar free meal.
Q. What is a good low sugar snack?
Ans. These are the low sugar breakfast snacks that will help you to lose weight if you are on a weight loss program and those are Banana and peanut butter waffles, cashew coffee, almond butter cups, pumpkin granola, cottage cheese and fruits.
Q. Which vegetables have no sugar?
Ans. Bitter gourd, fenugreek leaves, ladies finger, flax seeds, asparagus, avocado, broccoli these vegetables you can add to your diet if you want because these vegetables do not contain any sugar.
Q. Are Bananas high in sugar?
Ans. Yes, it is high because banana is high in carb and carbs are in the form of sugar, starch and fibre. This means that the amount of sugar in bananas is high but it is not that bananas contain refined sugar. One medium banana is near about 120 grams and contain around 25 grams carbs and 110 grams calories.
Q. Are eggs low in sugar?
Ans. Yes, of course eggs are low in sugar because eggs are made with protein. So eggs are very useful for those who are on a low sugar diet or a diabetic patients because it does not contain any carbohydrates and sugars.
Q. Are tomatoes high in sugar?
Ans. An average size, tomato about the size of a cricket ball or slightly larger has 27 calories. So, tomatoes is not high in sugar because it has contain no fat, no cholesterol only 6 grams carbs and 4 grams of sugar.
Tomatoes are a great source of dietary fibre, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, potassium and manganese.